Saturday, September 11, 2010

LONDON: Lunch and National British Museum

Well, wandering around was so much fun we just kept doing it. We wandered into St. Paul's Church (which will be posted on day two) and we wandered across the millennium bridge (a huge walking bridge across the Thames). We walked into the Tate Museum, which is a modern art museum. We were there about 5 minutes before we realized that modern art just isn't our thing! By the time we finished with this my feet we so tired and my stomach was not happy. All the websites we looked at said pubs are the best place to eat. We stopped in for some food.

I got fish and chips (apparently the whole fish!)
And Brent got a huge burger! The food was super greasy so not too impressive. I didn't even finish mine, and Brent only at three-quarters of his.

After lunch we took the subway to the Natural History Museum. This lion was outside the door and looked so cute I had to join him!

This place was free and AMAZING. I could have spent at least two full days just wandering around but we only had an hour, because we had so much to see! They had the coolest stuff inside. This giant statue is one found on Easter Island. There are hundreds of them and no one really knows why they are there! Brent was very excited!


We hiked all the way up to the top floor to look at the Japanese exhibit and it was the least interesting one of all... Our aching feet were not to appreciative!

I did find a few things I would like taking home though!
They also had ACTUAL mummies, which the ultra-sounds to prove what was inside of them was human. It was really cool to actually see one preserved, also that they didn't care if we took pictures of them!


Our last stop before leaving the museum was the Rosetta stone! This was used to crack the Egyptian language because it had the same thing written in three different languages! This is the last chunk left. I was pretty honored to get to see it in my life time!

Apparently we came in the Back door because this is where we got out.
That museum should be given at least 3-4 hours to just glance at everything, and 6 hours if you enjoy reading every placard! I really enjoyed the staff who would tell me what an item was when and where it was used! I had so much fun here. I was pretty sad we didn't get a chance to go back!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

I have heard that the food in London isn't very good. It sure looks good though.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't-that burger was about 50% grease, but I will admit the spicy potato wedges were pretty awesome. Greek food is where it is at, at about a fifth the price too
-b