Saturday, September 11, 2010

LONDON: A DAY AROUND THE CITY!

So all this time we are running around the city you have to understand a few things! number one is that they are so amazing at helping tourists get around. All the subway stations are named for what they are famous for! One famous stop I had to make was to King's Cross Station... Okay anyone who knows why is a total HARRY POTTER FAN!!!! We got a little turned around but found platform 9 3/4! EVERYONE SHOULD BE A LITTLE JEALOUS BY NOW!

Brent going through the portal!

Guess what! I actually made it through, but considering the Hogwarts Express left weeks ago I just came back!

Second, Hyde Park is massive! This is called Marble Arch, which is right next to Speaker's corner (where people go to rant, rave, preach ect). This is one of about 10 entrances. Look how massive this one entrance is. Since our feet were hurting and it was raining out, and we had no umbrella or jackets we decided to walk back to our hostel instead of riding the subway (ya I know that doesn't make any sense, I am not sure we were really thinking!)

On our way we found this horse. I was trying to figure out the meaning. Ya doing the same position didn't really help either!

Third, Subway riding is easy! Like I said the stops are easily named and the stops are quick and efficient. By the end I totally had the whole subway figured out, people asked me for help and I nailed it!

We took a couple different subway pictures!

I love these signs because they make me feel great about being lazy!

Fourth, there are statues, tall historic building's, and fountains EVERYWHERE! This one was on our way back to the Hostel through Hyde park. Brent's shoes had holes in the back so his feet were soaked by the end of this picture!
More Pretty Hyde Park!

This is the Serpentine lake which is in Hyde Park! Told you it was HUGE!

Fifth, This is our hostel! It was pretty run down but it served its purpose just fine! It was clean (enough) and everyone was nice so I can't complain. The staff could have been a little more kind but it made me really grateful for what I have. We met two girls who were living there because they couldn't afford anywhere else and they just hoped to be able to afford their own shower at some point! I hope everything works out for them!
Finally, a leaving subway is a reason to run! Okay you only have to wait a few minutes for another but who can resist the beeping bell! In this picture Brent and I ran onto the train through two different doors... turned out to be two different trains! ha ha! So we made faces at each other!


Oh, I forgot! This one is for Kalen! I am sure she doesn't read the blog but this may get her to start! We saw this coming up the escalator from the Piccadilly line, and knew she would love it!
Overall London is really set up for tourists. Overall we paid for that kind of set up but having things so much like home was really nice. Okay now back to the other things we did on that first day!

No comments: