Sunday, September 12, 2010

Greece: Flea Market, Zues Temple, Kerimkos, and Pireas

On our second day we headed out to do some SHOPPING! the flea market was suppose to be amazing and we had briefly walked through it the day before in our wanderings so I was excited to get back and look for something fun to remember out trip by!
This is where the real action was. These guys had everything crazy from Seen on T.V. and they were demonstrating it ALL!
This is the Square. It was really pretty and had performers and people selling donuts, corn on the cob and coconuts!
So this is what we were looking for! The meat Skewers are EVERYWHERE!
So our first night we just had skewers of meat with pita bread and lemon juice (it was so so so delicious!) But on our second day we finally got the dream! Soulvaki in the pita! It comes with the meat (lamb) with onion, tomato, tzatsiki sauce, and french fries all wrapped in a pita! Brent was pretty excited and it was SERIOUSLY DELICIOUS! All of that for only 2 Euro's! We were full for the rest of the say! SPOILER ALERT: we may have been full for the rest of the day but it didn't stop us from going back for dinner ;)
I always thought Greece would be gorgeous with the white houses, blue beaches and greenery but I have been in for a reality check here. Greece is SERIOUSLY dirty! Everyone smokes and never throws away the butts so they are everywhere. There is garbage EVERYWHERE and grafitti everywhere! Some of them are cool artistic ones, but when it is everywhere it looks like no one really cares how their city looks. Brent keeps saying how under developed they are and I remind him that Greece is a Developed Country... Even if it never really feels like it...

this is what I thought it would look like... But alas this is a resturant that put a lot of money into keeping their location good looking. We didn't eat here just thought it was pretty and since we are tourists we can take pictures of everything!

Those pictures were taken while wandering over to Temple of Zeus. This is the entrance, it is called Hadrian's gate! This is another instance of a couple picture switch! I love that in any language the message gets across "I'll take one for you and you can take one for me!" Yeah international bonding!


These are dogs that are EVERYWHERE! See how happy they are! I am not sure if they have owners or not but no one seemed worried. We quickly realized that dogs EVERYWHERE is just how things are here!

After the Flea Market we were off to the Temple of Zues. here is a picture from atop the Acropolis!This is at the entrance of the park!

This is a Roman bath house! It still kinda Stunk... or maybe that was just because no one over here wears Deoderant! YUCK!!! The crowded trains and buses smell REALLY REALLY bad!
This is a fallen column! so they are segmented rounds, but I am not sure how they get to be on top of each other. I am sure I could use Google to find out but I like to speculate more than educate myself so I will just keep guessing. Anyone is welcome to do it with me in the comments! here is the question, how did they build these amazing structures!?

Brent is SUCH a good Photographer, especially with our unprofessional camera!

Brent with The Temple of Zues and The Acropolis in the background!

As we were walking to the next metro to go to our final Acropolis pass stop we found this little place next to the sidewalk! It is a little house that was excavated! I swear these people have so many ruins they don't even know what to do with them all!

This is the national Park! I always thought Greece would all look like this but I was pretty wrong! It is pretty dirty with trash every where and there is not one building that we have seen in city or suburb that doesn't have spray paint all over it! At some point you have to take care of your city right?


So one of our favorite past times is getting totally lost! Greece SUCKS at making signs that work. I really appreciated that about London, everything was so EASY to find. This is us lost on the train tracks... not really a good place to find yourself. Luckily the metro is not around all too often... only every 8 minutes...

Finally we found Kerimkos! It is an ancient Graveyard! People used to just hang out here. Sounds odd to me but people in Japan still picnic in graveyards so I guess to each their own!

This is one gorgeous head stone!

Okay this thing is awesome! It was being sold by a street vendor and we had 8 minutes until our train so I thought I would demonstrate what it does! These guys sit on the street in the flea market and just throw this at a wooden board all day! Okay so here is what it does!

This is a really bad picture of it, but it SPLATS all over the floor then is reconsititues back into a tomatoe! We did it on the subway floor three times and now it is all dirty! I totally haggled. We thought it would be fun to have but the guy wanted 2 Euros I said no and started to walk away and he said how much... I said 1 Euro and he looked really mad, but gave in! I didn't really need this but I figure for a Euro is totally worth it!

This is us in front in front of the Harbor! The Ocean is really really blue and the ships are HUGE!

SO Brent wanted to get the gyro pita and I wanted to try Bakliva. We found some in Pireas and so we treated ourselves! I love how inexpensive everything is here!

Okay so this is what we look like on the metros. We are so tired everyday! Don't get me wrong we are having an awesome time, but we are here for so short of time and don't want to miss anything we run ourselves down quite a bit. That is why we have been turning in early pretty much every night here!
Okay we had to go back to the flea Market for another 2 Euro Gyro. They were huge and delicious! We could have gone back up to our hotel and gotten the same thing but when you are in a place like this why not just enjoy it?!

So this was a street performer that would use those sticks to make bubbles. We got our dinner Gyros and sat in the circle just watching. A whole bunch of kids gathered around and would jump to pop the bubbles. then a dog came around and HE would also jump to pop the bubbles! Big dogs are EVERYWHERE here. No owner, no leashes, no apparent homes they just hang out. They are never mean and don't beg they just hang out! We did give this guy a few coins (not much because he and I are probably on the same pay scale, but enough because he did provide some fun entertainment for our dinner time!
After this we took the hour and a half trek back to our hotel. We seriously had to wait for the bus for an hour! It was a long day but there is nothing better than relaxing in our four-poster bed with a little Greek television to gear us up for another day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you are in Greece among all those amazing Greek ruins. You visit the local flea market and all you buy is a rubber tomato that splats. I officially ban you from further international travel!

Mom

Erica said...

So the graffiti and random dogs remind me of Peru...good to know it's not just Latin countries that have random wandering dogs. : )

Brent and Mallory said...

Mom- We got a really beautiful hand crafted/painted vase. I plan to take pictures of all our nice souvenirs once we are settled. The tomato is just fun! Erica, yes there are random dogs but these are really clean ones unlike the ones I saw in Mexico so I think it might be a little different but same concept!