Sunday, September 12, 2010

Greece: Haridon's Library and Roman Agora!

After we finished at the Ancient Agora we walked through the flea market to Haridon's Library! This is what we found!
Nice picture of the two of us with some ruins (who is sick of seeing these pictures yet?)
The stairs up above me are heavily supported but they were old. I kinda wanted to try and climb them but I am pretty sure that would have gotten my pass taken away from me! It was so hot that day! Usually I always wear and undershirt but I am so glad I skipped it because I was so sticky and gross and hot by the end of the day I didn't need another layer to re enforce that! (My hair was curled at one point too!)
This is where an old church used to be in Haridon's Library!
This is at the Archway in Haridon's Library! This was close to the Library portion of the site, but I think technically it is part of a church that was there around the same time!
Next we are on to the Roman Agora. So the Agora is like a market place. So the ancient one is when the Greek's were there and the Roman Agora is for when the Roman's were there. Seems pretty self explanatory! This is called the Tower of the Winds. The plaque just said they didn't know what it was used for! I like when people are modest!
This was my favorite! In the Roman Agora they had public bathrooms for the people who frequented the area! So right now you are looking at the potty! ha ha! The... waste... would go trough the hole into the gutter and then be washed away! I could handle that... my only complaint is that there was only one house in the whole city!
Our camera died right after that last shot! We weren't expecting it so it was a huge bummer. It turned out to be okay though because it had started to rain. We headed for the bathroom or the "W.C." (we don't know what that means!). When we came out we were looking at our map and found this little guy! A real live turtle just hanging around the Roman Agora! I figured a cat was pretty typical but a turtle was TOTALLY unexpected! There were a few other tourists around so I pointed him out and we all had fun laughing and taking pictures! Good eyes Brent for spotting this one!
This is that actual Agora! It was very open and wide! I like seeing the tower in the background. I like to pretend if I would have lived back then I would have totally had my run of the town! Since there is no one to tell me otherwise I will assume I would have been royalty!

This was a totally relaxing day. We weren't running around, we weren't out all day! In fact we went home early and blogged most of the night! We did sneak out around 9 pm for a walk and found a bakery and a Souvlaki place (only 1.20 Euro's for AMAZINGNESS!). Brent and I were both VERY happy CAMPERS! It was a good first day in Greece!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

W.C. - water closet. A common term used in Britian (and obviously all of Europe). Still jealous!