Friday, December 3, 2010

Gellert Hill

On Tuesday we headed out to one of the most famous spots in all of Budapest: Gellert Hill. This is one of the places Brent and I wanted to go before we left, so I am glad we got out and did it! You can see the top statue on the hill. It use to be a communist statue until communism fell and then it was replaced with the current statue meant to represent peace.

Here is the view as we were walking across the bridge. We did take the metro as far as we could but we just don't understand the tram system enough to make it work. Tyler has been such a good sport about walking!

Brent and Tyler in front of the gate.

This is a statue outside of The Church in the Rock (I think that is it's name), I did a pretty good job getting the bridge in the picture as well!

Here is the entrance to the church.

It was really inexpensive to get in and it came with an audio guide! I love these things! It makes the exploration so much more meaningful! Unfortunately, I didn't really learn anything to memorable this time around :(

Here is the main gathering place. There were many different rooms, in the very back right corner you can see a doorway to another room.

This was the only room that wasn't cave like. It doesn't appear to be underground either. All of the wood was donated by an artist who was upset that the room looks so dull. All the wood work is gorgeous but the plain white walls don't help it much.

After we finished at the church we continued our hike up the giant hill. Along the way we found interesting things to look at. We found a park with giant slides! This is a picture of me coming down. my bum got all wet because the puddle on the ground was also on the bottom of the slide. Lucky for me, I was wearing layers and didn't feel the wetness until some time later!

After what seemed like forever through the snow we finally made it to the top! Notice we had shed some layers because that hike really got our blood pumping.

Here is the bottom half of the monument!

And the top!


A view of the city from the top

At the top there is also a citadel, that had been turned into a wax museum. Brent and I weren't very interested in it so we just took some pictures of the outside!
I love that there are statues everywhere and none of them make sense! Who knows what this was suppose to represent!


We went down the other side of the mountain. It wouldn't have been that bad but there was snow EVERYWHERE! I hate snow so much, and Brent and Tyler thought it was just hilarious! I guess when you are as clumsy as I am snow just seems like an added risk...
Once at the bottom we headed back for the metro. Brent constantly stops to take pictures. Tyler and I don't mind waiting but he always says we should just keep going and he will catch up! By the end of the time we listened to that... our feet were wet and FREEZING!


Gellert Hill was really gorgeous. I wish we had the weather we did two weeks ago but even in the freezing cold it was still a really enjoyable time! I am so glad that we ended up doing the hike. The pictures don't even do it justice!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

I would love the see the outside of the giant slides. Everything is so old and beautiful.