Monday, November 29, 2010

Tyler: Margret Island

Brent and I love Sunday's in Budapest because it means church is at two and we have plenty of time to go out and explore before hand. On Sunday morning we decided to head out to Margret Island. This is the Island in the middle of the Danube, which separates the Buda and Pest sides.

While walking to the Island we had to swing by Parliament to see how we go about buying tickets. I will probably be making the trek to Parliament at 7:30 am one of these days :( to get us tickets :)

Here is a closer view. There will be more Parliament pictures later this week I am sure!

Once we arrive at Margret Island we found this cool flame thing.

On the inside were a whole bunch of random items carved in. I still haven't decided what I think it all meant.

Brent found that there used to be a monastery on the Island. He told us that a King promised God his daughter if he could win a war. He won and so the King gave his daughter to the monastery on the Island. Later, he wanted to take her back so she could marry another Prince but she liked it so much she decided to stay! These are the remains of the monastery.

All of the buildings were crumbling down.

Tyler and Brent enjoying the puddles. Tyler did this all in heels.

I always wonder what fountains like this looked like back in their hay-day. I bet they were gorgeous, but now they are just covered in graffiti.
On the way back we found this ruined building.


I love finding little holes to hide in!

Margret Island was really cold, I wish we would have made that journey a month ago, because the fall colors would have been AMAZING!
After we finished the Island we were running late. Luckily, both Tyler and I packed our church clothes so after our 7 km walk we hopped the tram to church, changed out of our muddy clothes and got to thoroughly enjoy the Primary Program. Tyler went to Young Woman's with Kelli Salter, who afterward told me I needed to stop being cheap and let Tyler ride public more! I swear I just forget that 3 km is a long way! Either way, the message was received and we are taking the metro and trams a lot more from now on!

After church we made burrito's (homemade tortilla's) and watched HP two and three! It was a great Sunday!

1 comment:

Brent and Mallory said...

just for the record, the second picture is not of Parliament