Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Krakow: The City

Have I ever mentioned that Brent and I are doing all this traveling on a very tight budget? One of my goals is to get out of law school with no debt and this European adventure did not change that goal, so to save money Brent and I often stay in a hostel instead of a hotel. This is a very economic decision and over the time has saved us quite a bit of money. One of the drawbacks, however, is that we sometimes sleep in a room with 10 other people. Usually this is not a big deal but at our hostel in Krakow we had at least 4 people who snored! I am a pretty good sleeper so I didn't wake up to much but Brent just couldn't handle it! So he tried to wake me up at 5:45 am! I said no, and he went to use the internet and but was successful at waking me up at 6:45 am. So at a prompt 7:30 am we hit the town to see what Krakow had to offer.

There were a lot of cool churches. They were very different from the traditional.

This one had multiple spires on top of the main spire.

After we wandered around for a while, we worked our way down to the Jewish district and found a flea market. This was suppose to be a really good one but it turned out to be pretty expensive. They had really nice clothes but nothing that we could afford!

After the Jewish District we went to the Wawel Castle. This is the entry way. Since we had such an early start to the day, the Castle was not yet open to visitors, but the grounds were open, so we just walked around.

This is from atop the hill of Wawel Castle.

In the garden of the Castle is a statue of Pope John Paul II. He was born in Poland and so there are quite a few tributes to him!

In legend, Krakow was supposedly built atop a Dragons Den. Two of the Kings son went to kill it. It is unknown if it is actually killed! Brent with the Statue.
Me attempting to be the Dragon. I should have had a wider stance!

Infront of the Dragon's Den Entrance!

On our way back up to the old town I found this killer piano! Lets just say my musical talent earned me mad applause... well it would have if the piano had actually been functioning.

Back in the old town we found the Statue of the Pied Piper.

There were also several men selling paintings. There were some really amazing ones, but we have no way to get any of them home so we ended up just looking.

This is the only part of the ancient wall that is still standing.

In every town we have been to there are always street performers. Now I am not rich, but if they are doing something I really enjoy I like to give a little change their way. These guys topped my list! In costume and just happy to be playing! Their music was great. I went up to put the change in their hat while Brent was readying the camera. As I turned to leave the trumpet player motioned for me to get in the picture! It was so nice of him! It turned out really blurry and the picture was suppose to be of them not me! These guys really reminded me of Brent's Dad because they were so nice and really enjoyed what they were doing! It was contagious!
Sunday in Krakow is a hard time to be out and about. A lot of the touristy things were closed. It was nice to just relax and enjoy walking around. Luckily, the rain from the night before had stopped and so we didn't have a care in the world!

2 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

Oh hostels. I woke up to 2 Croatians butts onetime. They are pretty cheap though. I hope you realize this is a once in a lifetime experience. yOu are living it up.

Cool Waters said...

I think we all should go to Chicago together! They have these little black boys that drum on 5 gallon water buckets...amazing! You'd love it.