Monday, November 29, 2010

Tyler: Arrival, Cemetery and Christmas Market

So this past Friday we had our niece, Tyler, come to stay with us for about two weeks! She came at the worst time (weather wise)! Last week is was beautiful out everyday and she came when we got out first snow! We love having her here, I just feel terrible being outside all day everyday!

She flew in Friday morning and after her plane was delayed for an hour we headed home. It was a 30 minute bus ride and a 20 minute metro ride. A first time for Tyler on both. That first day we didn't do much. Jet lag is killer but Tyler handled it really well. While Brent was in class We just walked around and got a feel for the town!

Day two was much more exciting. Brent and I heard about this huge cemetery that we have been dying to go to , so we dragged Tyler along. On the way we stopped by the Opera house! Brent bought tickets for he and Tyler to go see Xerxes on December 8th. I decided not to go because it really wasn't my thing. The Opera house is truly amazing so even if Tyler doesn't enjoy the show, she will enjoy the surroundings!

As we were walking to the cemetery we found a fire truck. Pretty similar but these look much more plastic-y than the ones in the U.S.

A church we passed along the way. We were going to go in but it was closed. It seems that all the churches we have tried to go into over the past couple days have been closed, it is a little irritating!

I think this statue is of the pied piper, but who actually knows!

A cool Asian monument that we found walking. There was a gate in front of it, but Brent found it anyway! Nice work Babe!

This is a church that Brent has had circled on his map of places he wanted to go, and we happened to stumble on it by mistake! This was a lot of fun to look around!

Brent and Tyler seeing if anyone is home!

An Angel praying outside the church. This was one of Tyler's favorite's!

Here is the front of the church. I love that the apostles are carved out in the archway and I love the statue! It is so gorgeous!

After a 6 kilometer walk in the freezing cold, we finally made it to the cemetery! We walked down the eastern side first. This looked like a military graveyard to us. All of the dates were in the 1940's, so we wonder if it was a communist or Nazi party graveyard. It looked very majestic in the snow, our wet feet didn't really agree with my outlook though!

This was a cool head stone we found. I don't know who is buried here, but I am wondering if he is actually apart of this mosaic.

Down the middle of the Cemetery are two identical monuments with domes. Here are the paintings in the top! I love these mosaics!

One dome from another. Brent and I kept trying to get out of Tyler what she thought of this, since it isn't very common in the U.S., and she said she thought it was cool. I am not sure it has hit her that she is somewhere with a lot more history than home!

A tradition for Brent and I is picking out our headstones. Here is Tyler's!

Mine is a little run down, but with a little work I think it has the potential to be the hang out spot!

And Brent's... A little Ostentatious don't you think?
We did find a huge monument (consisting of about 8-9 murals like this one) in the cemetery, which makes me pretty sure that this is a communist/ Nazi party cemetery. I still could be very very wrong though.

After the cemetery we stopped by Tesco. Every time we stopped the cart, Tyler was sitting on the ground. She would find a good excuse to do so, but I don't think we accurately prepared her for how much walking we really do. With groceries in hand we took the metro home to give her feet a break!

Brent and I eat in a lot, so Tyler was ready to help! We made pizza. This was Tyler's first time making pizza dough! Looks great to me!


While we waited for the pizza's to cook Tyler played one of my favorite childhood games... LEMMINGS! Cade and I really got into it later that night and were helping each other the whole time! Basically, we are all hooked!
The final presentation! They were delicious!


After that we went to the Christmas market! I loved it there! It was huge, freezing, and more walking! Tyler found a ring and a purse that she loved and bought. We plan to make many more trips back to the Christmas market before we leave.
On Wednesday we are all going to see Harry Potter 7 Part I. You will not believe how surprised I was to hear that Tyler has not read the book and NOT EVEN SEEN THE MOVIES?!?!?! Christi what do you do with these kids? So that night I got out movie 1 (which we are borrowing along with all the others) and sat her down to watch it! I plan to have her caught up by Wednesday. Plus, after a big day of sightseeing a little Harry Potter just makes you feel good!

It was a big day for Tyler. I don't think Brent or I realize how much we walk or how used to it we are. The freezing cold didn't help much either! I really enjoyed seeing the cemetery and having Tyler here to experience it with us!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

That is so fun that she came to visit. I LOVED Lemmings, too! Now I have to see if I can get it on my computer. It looks like you guys had a great time despite the freezing weather.