Wednesday, November 17, 2010

food, Food, FOOD!

A few weeks ago, Brent and I had the pleasure of baby-sitting the children of some friends while they were off on a much deserved vacation to Athens. The girls were amazing, adorable and well behaved. We didn't even have to deal with one melt down!

To show their appreciation the Salter's took us out to Wasabi! This is a place that our Branch President, Brandon, told us about. It is a Japanese Buffet on conveyor belts. There is a conveyor for hot food and one for cold. Each plate had one or two little items or a small serving of something. It is a pretty spendy place so Brent set a goal to eat at least 50 plates, strictly to make sure he got his monies worth... I will tell you in a minute if he accomplished his goal.

Some of the amazing food they had was Teryaki chicken, sushi (about a dozen kinds), fried rice, cream deserts, chocolate filled pastries, fruit soups (amazing), fruit, some Indian food and much much more!

Well Brent smashed his goal with a whopping 70 plates, and I haven't felt hungry since Friday! Dinner was a great 4 hours of eating and talking. The Salter's are some of the most interesting and fun people I have ever met! They have been practically everywhere in Europe and talk as if it is no big deal! We are going to miss them terribly when they are gone! ( I need to get pictures of them!)

On a separate note, last week Kristi and Cade (the roomies) decided to have a bread bowl week. They made one giant soup and ate it each night for dinner with a new type of bread bowl each night. Of course this made me super jealous (as I usually am of their dinners) so this week I was inspired to make a soup of my own!

Presenting my Potato, Cheese and Bacon Soup!

Although I love potatoes, cheese and bacon I couldn't justify having no veggie intake for a week, so I added peas, broccoli, corn, carrots and onions. To account for the extra veggies I put in an extra cup of milk and broth which worked out splendidly!

The recipe was really straight forward and after figuring out how to make chicken broth from Bouillon cubes I was set to go! Brent was super helpful taking orders! It turned out AMAZING! We had it for a second time tonight and it just keeps getting better. I am totally excited for another serving tomorrow!


Food is such a wonderful thing! I have learned to make so many different things from scratch and I just keep getting better and better! I am always surprised at how much easier it is to cook than I expect!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

Yum... Food! I am jealous of all the new things you get to try.