Thursday, November 4, 2010

Terror Museum and Babysitting

This past weekend was a pretty eventful one! Brent and I are leaving for Poland tomorrow to visit Auschwitz and the salt mines. Last Friday we decided to visit the Terror Museum here in Budapest. It is a building in which the communist and Arrow Cross (Nazi party) both used as head quauters during their reign. Ovbiously, a lot of pretty terrible stuff happened at this place.

They have worked really hard to turn this into a museum that is a monument to all those who died as a result of these two parties possession of power.

We weren't really suppose to take pictures so none of them turned out great. Quiz time: do you remember the bridge that I blogged about that was all lit up pink? Well here is what it looked like bomb! Everything in Budapest has been bombed and restored but this picture really put it into perspective of that that actually meant!

All the rooms were really well decorated, and I am sure symbolic but to be honest, there was NOTHING explaining what the symbolism or items in the room meant, so this giant cross in the floor was kinda lost on us!

The Gallows that they used to hang people. Most individuals were held until they gave up information the government wanted and then charged with fake crimes and killed. There was a lot of fear during this time.

This was one of the only cells in the basement that actually had a window, most were a lot smaller with no window.

This is a room full of crosses lit with candles. It was a really beautiful tribute to all those who died. I only wonder why the crosses if a lot of the people were jewish.

In the main courtyard area there was this full tank. With an oily thick substance running below it. Once again the symbolism was lost on us.

On Saturday, we began babysitting these two little girls. (I know bad picture but I am being lazy). Can I just say being a mom is rough. To the point that I am reconsidering this kids thing altogether. If you want nieces or grand-babies at some point from me you will have to give me some pretty good reasons.

Don't get me wrong, these girls (Scarlett, 3, and lila, 18 months) were angels. No trantrums, no fits nothing but pretty stellar behavior. This however made me feel more overwhelmed! Brent was pretty adorable to watch with the girls though. He had a soft spot for Lila
We did pretty normal stuff. We made Brownies, watched movies, went shopping, church, McDonalds and the park. Scarlett went to school on Tuesday and Brent was at school so it was just Lila and me.


While at the park Brent would take the girls down the slide with him. The first time, however, he didn't realize he needed to slow down and he flew past the landing and ended up on his bum! Scarlett thought this was HILARIOUS! I had to agree with her! He learned his lesson by the time he took Lila down!
It was a really fun weekend! It was absolutely amazing having the girls with us, but seriously tiring. I think this has set back the wanting kids thing for a while. Let me clarify, this is not because the girls were bad, THEY WERE ANGELS! But if I can barely handle angels, what am I going to do with the demons I am sure to produce?! Any advice is welcome!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

My advice: pray for a baby with a full set of teeth (so you don't have to go through teething), who loves to sleep (so you're not up every hour at night....and can get something done during the day), who is already talking (so he can tell you what he wants instead of screaming his lungs off), and who is potty trained (we're not even close to tackling this, but it would sure be nice if it was never an issue). Or, you could just start stock-piling caffeinated beverages to help you survive the first year.

Don't get me wrong, though, I absolutely love being a mom. And you will too. :)

Erica and Spencer said...

haha it's funny how babysitting can do that isn't it? When I've talked to people though, they say that it's different when they are your own kids. (notice I said different...not easier...) : )