Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Transylvania Day 4: Sigshora and Heading Home

Leaving is always a hard thing to do, but alas it was that time again! WE packed our bags and loaded them in the car, and decided that our flight not leaving until almost 7 we had time to go exploring Sigshoara in the daylight!
On our way up to the old city we found some little markets. Everything was so expensive compared to our country markets, so nothing really tempted me!


This is the bell tower! It is what this city is famed for! It is pretty large and nice looking but my favorite part is located 3/4's the way up. There are manicans with kegs and something else on display! At first I thought they were kids partying until I realized they weren't moving! It was hilarious! This is also when Brent finally learned that bell towers ding on the hour for what hour it is (example 8 dings=8 o'clock!). I am very proud of my law student!

The old city was full of little alley ways! The streets we laid rock that was uneven and since it was raining I was walking REALLY REALLY slow! I am pretty prone to falling!

We went inside a church, that wasn't suppose to be open, but the cleaning lady had left the lock off. This is the spiral staircase inside!

Once of the look out towers for the old city. There was a complete wall around it all!

This is the covered stairway. It use to have over 270 stairs but now it has been reduced to half! Thank goodness because walking up that was a pain and a half!

This was the church at the top of the hill!

We walked around the city for an hour or two and then decided to get on our way. The next few pictures are to emphasize how outstanding the fall colors were while we were there!
Since we still had a lot of time to kill we went along a tiny dirt road to a monument that was on Brent's Atlas. Looking back it was a bad idea because my stomach hurt really bad for the rest of the day, which only worries Brent! We did see this cool horse though!


The monumnet turned out to be a wall... Totally worth the full 24 hours of pain!

We think had we kept driving we would have found this tower sitting in water, and that was the actual monument, but I did not feel like turning around at this point!

We drove and drove and drove. There was a small city that had more markets! Everything was so afforadable, I indulged and bought a second souvenir! It was only 20 lei ($6.00 USD) and a gorgeous vase! I am purposely not taking any pictures of our souvinors because I would rather show them off when I get home, but if there are people who would like me to post them I can!

At the airport we just relaxed in the car, until the rental person arrived. There were more feral dogs. Cade and Kristi fed him their remaining Bread and we gave him some corn nuts (which he didn't like to much!)
It was such an amazing trip! I was not sure what to expect but this was more than I could have imagined! The beauty of the countryside and the kindness of the people made Transylvania one of my favorite places that we have been so far! It was such a great experience, and I would happily go again!

2 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I get more and more jealous everytime I read this.

Anonymous said...

AHHH the fall colors. It makes me miss my younger years in West Virginia. Now do you understand why autumn is my favorite time of year?

Mom