Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Transylvania Day 3: Peles Palace and Bran Castle

On day three we had another early morning followed by a little bit of driving! The first place we went is called Peles Palace! It was built only a few hundred years ago but it was pretty amazing! The palace was closed but we were still able to walk around the grounds!

The fall colors were a topic of discussion! They were beyond vibrant and gorgous! This strem was on the palace grounds!

On the trail up the drive to the palace we found some fun cannons! Brent was thinking about sitting in the little chair... I am glad he didn't! I have a feeling it would have led to an international incident!

As we tried to walk up to the gates we quickly found out even the grounds close to the palace were closed! We think that someone important was staying there or something so we weren't allowed to take and close up pictures! this is the castle I imagine for Beauty and the Beast!
On the 45 minute drive to Bran's Castle (Dracula's Home) we stopped at one of the road side markets. I can not tell you how inexpensive this place was! Over our travel's I limit our souvinors to one spoon (me), one pen (Blair), pictures (Brent), and one free choice. This has worked great and kept spending down, plus we try to buy something that is going to be really memorable! The great thing about here is we had our pick of basically anything we wanted! Although I looked and looked and looked I couldn't find a spoon or a pen (that was cheap) at one of these stands!


When we got to Bran Castle, we were expecting dark and dreary! Man were we wrong! If anything I would describe it more "shire-like" than anything else!

Inside the castle, there was a set up tour, which is nice because we didn't miss anything! This is the secret stair case that is used by the royalty to get to different parts of the castle!
Overlooking the courtyard were some gorgeous colors!


Brent had to do the famous Dracula bite! he is finishing the book right now and I read it a few weeks ago, so I feel like we were both very well educated for this trip! It tickled so much so I couldn't stop laughing!

This castle was very educational, but not about Vampires, more about the royalty who lived here. There were large posters everywhere basically telling people that Vlad the Impaler was not Dracula so there was no reason he should be as famous as he is!

This is the very beautiful courtyard! All the greenery made for a very enchanted experience!

Once we finished in the castle, we walked around the grounds! I love this picture of Brent. This lake is about 200 steps below the castle, so it is on a different level altogether!

I like this picture!

Oh did I forget to show you what the castle looked like? This is what we saw for the first time... ya I still think Vlad was Dracula, I don't care what they say!
After we finished at the castle we scoured the market for a pen! I found and inexpensive spoon (6 lei) but none of the stands had pens! I asked EVERYONE! Finally, Brent found a stand that had one! Blair, mission accomplished! I got you a pen!

3 comments:

Dana and ohana said...

IF I didn;t love you I would totally totally hate you for all the neat things you are doing. Keep having lots of fun for me!

Cool Waters said...

So pretty! It doesn't even look like winter...which is a different story here!! Luckily no snow yet though!

Erica and Spencer said...

Isn't it interesting how much harder it is to find things like spoons and pens in other countries?! When we were in Peru looking for a spoon for you, we had to keep asking at each booth we went to. Half the time they looked at us like we were crazy... I started thinking I would have to go to a grocery store and buy you a regular old spoon : )