Monday, October 11, 2010

Fast Sunday: Castle Hill and Fisherman's Bastion!

This past Sunday was Fast Sunday... and we have 2:00 pm church... I thought it was going to be a long day, but because it was so nice outside and we usually walk to church we decided to just made a day trip out to Castle Hill. So around 11:30 am we left the house and walked across the Bridge.

We decided to climb to the top of Castle Hill. Graffiti here seems a little different then the type back in the states! I love this thing!

This was at a viewpoint. Across the river is Parliament.

This is the Bridge we walk across! I love that we are both in church clothes... Well my outfit was actually pretty embarrassing but I didn't have much choice... you will really see it become embarrassing later~

This was the alternative to climbing up the mountain. This is called a Ferenck I think. It takes you up the hill. Since it was sunday we decided to walk it instead of spending money. It was our theme for the day and I rather liked it!

A view from close to the top. You can see the Basilica and the bridge from this angle!

This monument is at the top of the hill but it is not an eagle (I know you were thinking it was an eagle but it isn't) it is instead a mythical bird that some wife said led her to this land. She told her husband and they found it!

Gorgeous view overlooking the river! Great shot since it is a wall taking the picture!

Brent with Parliament... Isn't he an adorable missionary ;)

This is some guy who conquered something back in the 1700's I think. (You can tell all this history is a little to much for me to remember. Brent does a great job but it is all kinda lost on me!)

After we finished at the Palace we began walking towards Fisherman's Bastion.
Cool little monument on our way.

This is the Church found right outside the Fisherman's Bastion. It is a little ornate but we decided not to go in since it didn't open for an hour and it cost money.

Parliment through Fisherman's Bastion!

This is one wall of Fisherman's Bastion! How gorgeous is it! There are two walls and restaurants line them! this is where I get to say thank you fast Sunday because I wasn't even tempted! The Bastion is where Fisherman used to take all their goods to sell. I am not sure why they decided to climb a hill to do it but who am I to judge?!
We saw some other sites (none quite as interesting as what I have showed you) and finally finished at St. Mary's church, which (you guessed it!!) was destroyed in WWII, expect for one tower and the window!


These ruins were pretty cool. We got to run around on them! This is where you can tell why my outfit was embarrassing. Long skit, leggings, and tennis shoes! The tennis shoes were by far the worst part of the outfit but I was not going to trek around Budapest, up and down hills for 3 hours in heels! I will take looking ridiculous any day!

Church was really good. Small wards are really fun because everyone has to be involved to make it work! As Sacrament meeting was finishing Sis Carlson invited us over for dinner, so straight from Church we went home with them! Brother Carlson works for the embassy as a doctor. We had such a good time! We arrived around 4:30 and stayed until 10 ish! Sister Carlson was so amazing and it totally felt like we went home for a short period! Kristi and I plan on making play dates with her. Her kids are super lucky to have her, even though they now live half way around the world!

No comments: