Friday, October 1, 2010

Churches, Central Market and Parliment (PICTURE POST)

You would never believe that with nothing to do all day, finding time to Blog has become increasingly difficult. Most of this stems from the thought that I don't really do anything blog worthy therefore I do not blog. As I am looking through my memory card though I have found about 5 different things I should have blogged about. Well instead of staying behind I am just going to do a little catch up right now!

Brent and I have officially been here two weeks, and although I had a minor (okay okay major) break down initially, I am super happy now! Brent has school everyday, but the schedule is never the same. Sometimes he finishes at one, sometimes at 3:30 and then there are the dreaded 5:30 pm days. On one of the early release days we decided to head over to the central market. It was about a 35 minute walk through some really pretty (and touristy) streets. On our way there we found some churches.

This being one of them!
I love all these churches because they are always open to the public. When we went inside there were some very ornate parts of the sanctuary, but most of the church was just normal blank painted walls. It was a very different feel from when we were in Rome.


One of the gorgeous murals on the ceiling.
Here is the alter that they use in their services.


After wandering the streets for quite a while we finally arrived at the central market. It looked like an old train station or something. There were two stories. On the bottom story was meat and fruit stands. Brent is dead set on getting some sort of sausage before we leave and since they are less than $1.00 I think I am more concerned about what it will do to his arteries rather than our check book! I figure he got us here so as soon as he wants one he will get one!

Up on the second levels were all the little tourist shop. It is fun to have SO MUCH time to find what we want for souvenirs. All the toys here are really cheap and so much different from the ones I see in the states. We already have a few ideas on what we want, but as we keep looking it may change.

Our day at the market was fun but last Saturday we decided to do something super touristy. (Sidenote: Since I am technically living here I have found it is really hard to go do the touristy things since I am not a tourist as much as a citizen. I am still out doing it though!) We went to see parliament. This was modeled after the Parliament building in London. We were hoping to go inside but it turns out that there is a whole process of showing up at 8 am getting tickets, coming back and... well a whole process. So we will go inside another day.

The building sits on the edge of the Danube, which we cross every Sunday on our way to church. Unless there is rain, then we take the metro and cross under it!

It is a really ornate building and expect another post on the inside of it!

On our way home we found some treasures. I have noticed that in Europe they have little statues all over. Here is the history of this one. Hungary became it's own country in the 1800's and since then has had to defend itself against at least 2 different invasions. One from Austria and one of the German Nazi party. This man is was a Nazi leader who eventually "crossed the bridge" and began to fight against the Nazi party in Hungary. So, if you didn't get it, this symbolizes his change to the other side.

One thing I am learning over here is that WWII was something really really profound. I am not sure American's understand it. Hungary was hit hard for sure, but every place I have been so far the effects of the war and the holocaust still stand out 70 years later.

Brent loves seeing buildings like this. I have no idea what is in this building but how cool is it anyway?

As we were walking home we found a park with odd contemporary art!

How adorable are all of these?! We walked past this park yesterday and all these little guys were gone! The park is only 10 minutes from our house. Cade and Kristi really did an amazing job finding a place downtown!

We also found this fountain! The inside is dry. Whenever we tried to get a picture of Brent the jets would stop working right where he was. It was really funny because it looked like they were scared of him or something!

Overall, Budapest has been really fun. On our trip out here, Brent made a huge list of things he wanted to do in every city. Well he just started his Budapest one and I guess it has gotten really long, so expect a lot more post!
Oh ya, everyone should get skype. It is amazing! Plus it is really easy to chat and Kristi (roommate) is teaching me all sorts of fun tricks with it! Easy and free, what more could you ask for?!

3 comments:

Kelli Salter said...

We STILL have not made it inside Parlament because of the stupid process of getting tickets. Oh, and the fountain is weight sensored, haha :)

Anonymous said...

Weight sensored? That is awesome, and annoying all at the same time! and Mal I would like some sausage now.
-B

Erica and Spencer said...

hehe This made me giggle a little bit for some reason. And I am going to do a google search for Skype right now!