Friday, October 8, 2010

Jewish District

What to do when Brent gets out of Class at 1:00 pm? Tour the Jewish district of course! Brent had gone on a Elders Quorum activity with some who served their mission in the Jewish district so he mapped out the plan and we set out on an adventure!

This was the first stop! I statue that was dedicated to a Swiss man (I think), who would give fake Swiss papers to Jews as they we unloading trains at different concentration Camps. So he essentially saved thousands of lives. The statue is him throwing a cloth to someone suffering.

Next we stopped by a Synagogue of the Status Quo sect of Judaism. There are no longer enough supporters in the capital so it is now just an empty building that you can pay to look around in. I think you can tell from this picture that we didn't see much point of entering.
The next stop was the big synagogue. This is the second largest in the world and many of the currently synagogues are built to look like this one!

We didn't have the right student cards so we are waiting on touring the facility and museum but we did get to walk around the grounds. This glass window is suppose to be symbolic of all of those people who helped to fight for a nd free the jews from Oppression during the Nazi and Communist era.


This was part of the Weeping Willow memorial. Each one of the leaves has a name of someone who died during WWII.
This is the full tree. The earlier picture makes it look a lot smaller than it actually is.


After that we went to the electricity museum?!?! Actually we have no idea what it really is, because no one spoke english and nothing was in english so I just found buttons to press and went to town!

Brent is mimicking the hawk above his head! This museum was a gem because we couldn't understand any part of it! When you don't understand something, you tend to find various ways to enjoy it!

This was the final synagogue we went to. I thought it was interesting how different they all looked from the outside!

What is an day outing without stopping at one Catholic church? This one is really pretty and we can actually see the spires from our apartments intersection.

This is the alter. Unlike other Catholic churches we saw here in Budapest this one looked more put together than the previous one! It was very nicely decorated.

As we were walking home we found some lovely statues! Look how sad they both look!

I am not sure what my face is about, or what the statue is about. Did this guy invent the laptop? Maybe, but then again I don't think so!?!? I guess we will never know!

It was a really fun outing day. Touring where I live still feels weird but I would hate myself if I walked away and never saw anything here! I am glad Brent is so willing to plan all these things so I can just relax and enjoy!

3 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

brent probably looks so sad because of BYU football record.

Colette said...

thanks! and your blog is so cute :) you do a much better job of taking pictures of things than me. also shout out for the canada pic. the hockey fan inside me has to wonder if you're not in some way related to the GREAT peter forsberg? haha, i'm a loser.

Brent and Mallory said...

man people have asked, and I think he is like a 3rd cousin removed or something, either way I don't know him and have no way of finding him. you aren't a loser, I had someone take a picture of my drivers permit for that very reason!