Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Geneva: Finding Calvin's Church

THE FIRST GENEVA POST IS THE NEXT ONE!!!

The great thing about touring Europe is that most of these ancient cities we condensed into a small space, so everything we need to see is fairly close, making walking a great mode of transportation. Brent and I wanted to visit Calvin's church but didn't know exactly where is was, so we just started walking. First, we found a place to wash our hands.

And and interesting clock. I am not sure how you are suppose to read this, but we saw two or three around.

We found and old time canon, with stained glass mosaics in the background.

After all our searching, we ended up here! Jean Calvin's church!

It is actually two buildings that were connected later. This is the spire in the middle. It is in a pretty tight square so it was a little difficult to photograph.

I like that the doors had an appropriately sized lock. Giant building, Giant Lock!
I think these were for the choir or something, but I enjoyed how intricate all the carvings are!

A great picture from Brent to emphasize how beautiful the inside was.

Across the street from the big church, is actually where Calvin preached. It is a much more modest church. In many way I enjoy the simplistic decorations more than the big elaborate churches.


The chair in the back is Calvin's actual chair. I couldn't see a bum print, so I questions how many times he sat in it!

After we finished up at Calvin square we found a bench to eat lunch. Brent ran off to take pictures of the huge buildings and then took some of me scarfing down a half PB sandwich and granola bar!

It was turning out to be a gorgeous day. This made Brent and I realize that we are both in great walking shape! Not once did we get to tired to walk and our feet never hurt anymore! I love this aspect of European living.

No comments: