Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Geneva: The United Nations

GENEVA POST #4, FOR THE FIRST THREE KEEP SCROLLING DOWN!!!

What is Geneva truly famous for? Banking and the United Nations. Well I don't think anyone would be interested if I posted pictures of banks, but I thought the U.N. Geneva head quarters would be cool. Brent and I hopped a bus to the U.N. Building. Of course we took it one stop to far. "No big deal" we thought "we will just walk back!"

As we began our walk back, we stumbled into this amazing building called Ariana. Yes, this building had a name all of its own! It was so pretty Brent and I had to take a closer look.

Turns out it was a museum, or dishes with a few odds and ends thrown in! This is a beautiful candle holder (standing chandelier?)

when I saw this statue I literally gasped! If you have ever seen the new Pride and Prejudice, you will have seen a similar statue when Lizzie is visiting Mr. Darcy's manner. I have seen that statue 1000 times and always thought it had to be fake it was so pretty. Turns out it wasn't faked, and it was carved from real marble (or at least it could be, the one in the movie was probably Styrofoam!) Some people are so talented to create such wonderful things!

After we got done exploring Ariana, we found the UN. Out side was this giant three legged chair. No idea what that is about!

Brent in front of the sign. The top is French (the national Language) and the bottom english.

Here is the most famous view of the building. I thought I found the American flag but it was really far away from me and most the flags are similarly colored. They should have had a poster showing where each countries flags are so tourist could try and find them!

After the UN, Brent and I went back down to the Lake to try and see the fountain (which was off) and stumbled into the Mausoleum. It was gorgeous. Some guy left it in his will that one was to be built for him, after he died. Pretty smart. I am thinking of doing the same!

After we had seen all that Geneva had to offer, Brent and I went to book tickets to Annecy France. We had had great weather all day, but it started to rain, our train left super early the next day and we were tired. In the end the last three hours of trying to figure everything out and get home, made the day a lot longer than we wanted it to be :(

Get ready because the next blog is about France... Spoiler Alert: We LOVE France!

No comments: