Friday, December 3, 2010

St. Steven Bascillica

Brent and I have lived in Budapest for a while now and every day we pass huge tourist attractions and never take pictures of them. This is how I knew I lived in Budapest and wasn't just visiting. Well on Wednesday that all changed!

This is a statue we walk by everyday on the way to the gym, and Brent's school! I have seen probably 100 pictures being taken of it and it was finally my turn!

The second item we pass everyday is St. Steven Basilica. It is one of the tallest churches in the world (I think) and GORGEOUS!
Since it is the Christmas season they have the Nativity all set up! I didn't really care for their carvings all that much!


The doors to the inside were so ornate!

Here is one of the alters. We went in the middle of the day, but they don't use artificial lights on the inside at all, and since it was dark and gloomy outside it was pretty dim inside as well.

This is the main alter from the very back. The roman churches were super ornate and intricate. this one had those aspects for sure but there was also a sense of simplicity which I appreciate more. It made the room feel more grand and spacious opposed to thee overwhelming churches in Rome.

Here is the main square that we cut across. Brent school is down that middle alleyway about three blocks!
Being able to walk passed this amazing building has been a real treat! It is like living close to Temple Square and walking past it every morning. I sometimes forget how amazing it is until I take a good look at it!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

Ya, make sure to take pictures of the little things. I wish I would have done that more when I was in England, especially of the eating hall and little things like that.