Saturday, March 14, 2015

Thanksgiving: Portland Aquarium

Thanksgiving was filled with a ton of family.  My mom ended up hosting a dinner with 30 people and I LOVED IT!  It was so nice to see everyone and catch up. The day after was filled with shopping but black friday doesn't really do it for me, I feel like I am a bargain shopper all year so a few bucks off something that I already consider overpriced isn't really worth my time.

On Saturday, it was just my parents and us.  We decided to do another Portland attraction and hit up the aquarium.  This is a smaller place but is really interactive.  I was interested to see what Harper thought.  

This is her petting and sea sponge.  They had this in an old boat and a black lit room.  Pretty cool.  She was really excited but after it closed around her fingers she wasn't sure what to think.
In another room she got to pet the sting ray.  I bought some food to feed them (which only cost my last born child).  She was a little to nervous to let them get that close but all the adults enjoyed getting that personal.
The Koi fish were probably her favorite.  They would all hid in the corner and I would coax them out with a trail of food.  Harper would try and grab all the food and try to feed them, but most ended up on the floor.  My dad, knowing that the food was overpriced, actually got down and started picking it up.  I had to convince him we could afford the loss and that Harper would just drop it again.
The final stop was the bird room (no idea how they get to birds in an aquarium). Please understand that when I am pregnant I avoid cameras like the plague.  I don't need reminders of how big I got, but here it was unavoidable.  Harper started out LOVING the birds.  
Until right after this moment, when a bird got to close and Harper didn't feel safe anymore. She broke out crying and the employee had to come remove the bird before she hit it.
This was our second attempt, and honestly I felt less comfortable. I had one baby in me, one in my arms and three birds on me.  This is when I started having flashbacks to Alfred Hitchcocks movie "The Birds".  Needless to say, I was happy when we left. 
It was a fun trip to the aquarium.  I wish Las Vegas had more places like this.  In Vegas there are only wildlife preserves but most the animals are cockroaches and birds (which are normally non-existent). Overall, it was a really fun trip home.  Half of the fun is just getting to relax and watch judge shows with the people you like.  

No comments: