Sunday, March 8, 2015

Idaho State Pen

In September we did something we do not do often enough, went back to Brents hometown of Boise.  Brent sometimes misses his old stomping ground and this made the perfect labor day get away!  While there we did a whole bunch of relaxing and eating but one thing we did finally do was visit the Old Idaho State Pen.

Since I  have an affinity for crime, murder and everything else along that line, I was really excited to make the trip. 
Since it is now January, and I am blogging about events in September I honestly can't recall to much of the history.  But I do know that this campus is no longer in use.
Another little person that was so excited was Harper.  I love taking her places where there is very little she can destroy or get hurt on.  She is most fun when we let her wander around to find her own adventure!
This is one of the old cell blocks. They had some displays inside the cells but not to many.
Harper found a place where she would be comfortable.
Brent taking a picture of us from above.  
Can you tell I am 5 months pregnant?  I sure can!
This was on the basketball court.  Harper refused to follow along with us and would laugh and run away as fast as she could.
Putting me in my place.
This was a really interesting room.  They had built a two story hanging chamber that those on Death Row would utilize, but I think it was only ever used once.  As much as I like this type of stuff, it was still a little weird to be standing where someone died.
There was also a little museum of ancient weaponry.  I guess it wasn't all ancient because there were guns as well and knifes, swords and other contraptions from through out the years.
It is so weird to me how big she is getting!  I am so glad we have London because Harper is growing up way way way to fast.
A lot of the prison was in ruins, I think it was something to do with a fire but I could be making that up.  They did have quite a bit of green space and flowers.  Peggy and I thought they could probably put in more grass and then rent out the space for events and weddings.  It wouldn't be everyones things but I bet they could make a little extra money for sure.
Outside the main gates was a little building for the women of the prison.  As you can imagine the few women inmates were not treated well by many of the male prisoners and staff.  this was like a little refuge for them.  Honestly the building was so small, with small cells that I would have almost wanted to take my chances... but I guess not doing anything to send me to prison will always be my best bet. 
Our little Family.
It is always fun to go home, whether is be Portland or Boise.  Boise is a really family friendly city and as our kids get older it will be fun to explore all the little things they have to offer.

No comments: