Monday, August 8, 2011

Utah Trip: Day One Evening

After a relaxing dinner, catching up and playing some games Erica, her husband and kids, and David had to head back to Provo. That is when Kelly and I got to work! I was hosting a baby shower for Erica the next evening and thought it would be so cute to make a diaper cake!

I saw one of these at a trade show that Brent's parents were at and I thought it was such a fun idea! It turned out to be super easy too!

First, roll size 1 (or whatever size you think is appropriate) from the bottom to the top and secure with a rubber band. I bought a pack of 92 diapers and didn't use all of them.

Second, get some sort of a platter. I found a 16" pizza pan at the dollar store that ended up being the perfect size!

Third, in the middle of the pan place a bottle of sparkling cider (for the parents to celebrate with at the hospital), the surround the bottle with diapers. We did it three diapers thick and it worked out really well.

After you have the shape secure the bottom tier with a rubber band. The repeat for a second (2 diapers deep) and third layer (1 diaper deep.)

You can tell we were taking this very seriously!

Fourth, after all the layers are created and secured around the cider with rubber-bands take some ribbon and tie it around the center of each layer.


Finally, decorate! Use bows, pacifiers, rattles, nail clippers, bottles, picture frame (as pictured in my hand,) and whatever else you think the new mom could use! Kelly had such a great eye for this! I was utterly helpless with the bows! She made 5 and I made a measly 1!

Final Product: Diaper Cake.
I think it turned out really cute! Some instructions said to cover the diapers with tissue paper so you couldn't see the print but I think the color actually complimented the overall look.

I also used it as a game at the shower. Everyone had 30 seconds to memorize as much as they could. Only three people noticed the bottle of cider in the middle! I really liked the diaper cake and plan to do it again!

1 comment:

Steffydd said...

So cute. I always think Diaper Cakes are fun.