Sunday, August 1, 2010

Utah Carter Family Reunion

This weekend (beginning on Thursday) I got the opportunity to go back to Utah to attend the Carter Family reunion!!! This is my Grandmother Evan's Family. Some of the siblings (including my Grandma Nola Jean) are past away so the others thought it would be a good idea for everyone to meet up before it was to late. So we did!

I still had to work on Thursday, so I worked a full day and then at 4:00 Brent took me to the airport. I love eating airport food, probably because it is so convenient and what else is there to do when you are trapped?! Don't worry, ( I know you were) I was true to my goal and walked around all the airport discourses with my ipod instead. It was incredibly relaxing! Once I arrived in Utah I pretty much went straight to bed because I was so so so excited about working out at MY OWN GYM!!!

The next morning I woke up at 6 am and took of for the Orem Recreation Center which is MY GYM! It is perfect for me and it is probably one of the most missed things here in Utah. After a great 30 minutes (hey I am still on vacation) I got showered and changed and stopped by to see some of the old office friends. I stayed FOREVER at the Provo office because they didn't have to much going on so we were joking around quite a bit. I did most of the things I normally did including washing cars with Paul. That sounds weird for vacation but that last month and a half of employment there washing cars and laughing hysterically in the wash bay is what kept me sane! it had been a long time since we talked and I don't think Paul knew I was coming but once I walked in it was like I hadn't left. He immediately started talking and didn't really slow down until I left! I also let Dave boss me around for old time sakes. Although he admits missing me, I think he misses me even more than he lets on. It was really fun because it felt like no time had past! I miss being the office mom for sure! I also stopped by my other office but they were much busier so I only stayed for ten minutes.

The Reunion that night was a lot of fun. A lot of the Evans side were able to make. All of the aunts and Uncles and a few kids from every family were able to attend. One thing I learned that night is that my Carter Great Grandparents were funny. They would keep money secrets from each other and when they were discovered it was something to laugh about not get angry about! Another thing I learned is that I am WAY more Evans than Carter! Carter's laugh and sing all these silly songs and all the Evans kids just kept looking around to see who had started the joke, but no one had, they seriously just sing silly songs. Evans also have a profound use and admiration for sarcasm, where Carter's are a little more straight forward in their conversations! I met a lot of people I hadn't met before and it was really nice getting to see all my cousins who I hadn't seen before. I am really glad my Mom had a good time catching up with all her Aunts that she hadn't been able to visit with in a long time.

Saturday was a mixture of driving and shopping. It was a long day. That evening My mom, Kalen, Aunt Patty and I went to go see "The Karate Kid". It was not very good. The story took a long time to develop and it dragged forever BUT it did have one redeeming factor... It was shot on location in China. This was exciting because it made me realize how excited I am to get out and see the world! I know I won't be hitting up Asia on this trip but right now the idea of leaving everyone behind to go see some of the greatest monuments of human and divine creation is way more appealing than just about anything here! I am super grateful I have a husband who shares this desire and work so hard in Law School to make this opportunity available to us! Right now I am pumped but I am sure I will have a couple homesick blogs... If I don't we may end up in Europe forever!

It is now Sunday Morning and I am sitting at my Aunt Patty (who I adore) and Uncle Bob's (Who I adore slightly less ;) Just kidding!!) house waiting to go to the airport. I have missed Brent A TON since coming here but overall it was nice to catch up with family and fun to see how easily I fit back into this place! I will miss everyone here but I am ready to be back at home with my Husband!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

Wish I could have been there.