Sunday, August 15, 2010

Canada Days 1 & 2

This week we get the great pleasure of playing hookie at work for a WHOLE entire week to go to Canada and visit Brent's brother Ryan. So yesterday (Saturday) we started the trek. Luckily we didn't make the entire 16 hour drive in one day! Instead we only drove 6 hours up to Maren's house in Pullman Washington! We spent a glorious afternoon going out to lunch at an amazing Korean restaurant. My dad ordered EVERYTHING and for the most part it was all amazing. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did!
Good Call Papa Bear!

After lunch my Mom and Dad headed home, their vacation was just ending and ours was just beginning! Since Brody was only on his third day post surgery we spent a lot of time around the house, which was fine by me!

I really wanted to get a picture with my two of my three favorite boys but Braden was less then excited! Luckily, Maren taught us a great trick. If we tell him not to do something Braden becomes more than willing to do just about anything. So this picture was taken by saying "Braden, do not come sit on my knee!" and "Braden, do not smile at uncle Brent!" It was kinda amazing!
We also went to the mall to get some random clothing items. I got a new work out clothes and Maren got a new skirt. We found a donation station, where you take change and send it down ramps and it spins into the collection center. As Maren was digging out some change we realize it hadn't been empty in so long that all the change had collected in the collection hole. Well we grabbed handfuls and had so much fun racing each other and fighting each other down the circular path!

Brody loves his uncle Brent!
Although it was sad, it was time to leave Pullman for our final destination... CALGARY CANADA! The drive went okay until we hit the border. We spent 1 HOUR in line just waiting to cross. It took way way way to long!

I officially crossed the border without showing my passport! Okay, so I think this little monument means nothing in reality but it was fun to think it did!
Once in Canada I could feel the change. I am not exactly sure how but it just doesn't feel like the States anymore! It was odd seeing flagpoles in people's yard's and instead of the American Flag it was the Canadian!

We also stopped for lunch at a Quizno's (authentic Canadian food Ha Ha!). Brent and I were smart enough to exchange out money last week and so I gave the cashier a ten dollar Canadian bill when the total of our meal was $6.82... and all he gave me back were coins! I was about to ask about my dollars but thought I should look at the change before I make myself a fool! I am glad I did! It turns out that in Canada there is no one dollar bill but a "loony" and a "toony" which is a one dollar and two dollar coin! I was almost embarrassed but glad I just kept my mouth shut instead!

The drive through Canada was so gorgeous, I mean seriously! This is called Hurricane Mountain. The scenery was absolutely brilliant shades of green forest and crystal blue lakes and rivers.
We saw a ton of cows and moose, and even a deer in a stream! It was amazing! The drive, to be honest, was pretty miserable after hour 7. We made a few stops but seriously I could really be happy if we just flew back to Pullman. We are so grateful to Maren for letting us stay and for Brent's Parents for letting us carpool with them. When we arrived there was dinner and a lot of catching up! I am happy to report I have finally met everyone I am related to!

There is a lot more to come!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

I'm jealous!! I'm also a bit skeptical of Korean food in Pullman. The two just don't seem to go togetherr but I'm glad it was good.