Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Canada Days 3

I was going to blog about the last three days all in one post but as I began to look at the pictures I was going to use I decided to make this into at least two (probably three) different posts!
On Monday, we did a lot of looking around Calgary! One of Brent's favorite things was trying the different chocolate. We have tried several different types. Something interesting, I observed, is that the chocolate in Canada tastes more tart rather than sweet, like in the states. I still prefer our chocolate though.

Julie, Ryan's Fiance, was a great tour guide. Brent had made a list of things he wanted to see and Julie was more than wonderful in showing us around!

This is an overlook of Calgary! There are awesome sky scrapers, and gorgeous scenery! You can see the Calgary tower (about and inch left of Brent's head). This was built when the Olympics were here in the 80's and it used to be the tallest structure in Calgary, but that isn't true anymore!


This is a monument to the Canadian Mountie's. There was a museum but we decided not to go to it. The fort was pretty neat.

After the monument, we went downtown to China Town, it was one about one block. Brent took this picture and I thought it was a really cool contrast of the ancient and modern lifestyles. This wasn't your typically china town, there wasn't any little shops or stores to go to and probably only one restaurant.

This is the inside of China Welcome Center. It was a pretty normal building. When I walked in I was pretty underwhelmed, until I looked up. The it was much more mesmerizing. Parking in downtown was CRAZY EXPENSIVE! Julie explained that it was because they wanted to really discourage driving into downtown. Instead they wanted people to find another way to make it into work. That seems like a way to make me NOT want to work in downtown


After we got done in China Town we walked over to Prince's Island. In the middle of downtown there are about a million green area's! It is really beautiful. Julie told us that there is a walkway that goes all around the city. For avid joggers they can literally jog around the entire city! We went to a very popular lunch spot. It was really pretty right here! Across the lake is the actual island. There were pathways across, but we didn't make it out this trip!

For lunch, Ryan and Julie recommended honey ginger chicken/beef. So Chinese it was! It was so delicious! I am not sure if we have this in the states but it should be quickly adopted!
YUM YUM!

Although Ryan and I have really only met for the first time I feel like we are pretty close family! Our sweet tooth's are the exact same for sure! When Ryan said he knew where to get good cheesecake I was on board! We ended up getting TWO GIANT cakes and one sugar-free slice! Ryan and Julie treated us to the gourmet treats and they were a PRETTY PENNY!!! I put myself in charge of making sure they got home safe! THANK YOU RYAN AND JULIE! IT CONTINUES TO BE AMAZING!
Well the cakes got home safe, but were put on hold until after dinner! Ryan made Drunken Chicken! Brent always says that Ryan NEVER cooked before he moved to Canada but he has cooked amazing meals every night! I am pretty sure Brent is just pulling my leg and Ryan has always been an amazing cook!

This chicken is basted with spices, and then cooked with a Canadian Beer up his rear. I couldn't taste the beer but the chicken was sure moist! Brent and I thought it would be delicious if we did it with Dr. Pepper! I think we will for sure try that at home!
Calgary is an amazing city, but not really a tourist city. The parks and walkways sure put Portland's walk way system to same!

THANK YOU FOR THE TOUR JULIE!!!

1 comment:

Maren and Blake said...

I can't wait to see what my present is? JK! Aero's were huge in England. I remember they were kind of bubbly chocolate. Does that make sense? Can't wait to hear more about your trip.