Friday, December 7, 2012

Thailand: Wat Pho


After a busy morning shopping we headed back to a Wat which was closed because President Obama decided to visit on the same day we did!  (Seriously, he has his own plane can't he leave anything for the poor people who have to save up to see cool things?!)

Anyway, Ron said it was a must see... so we knew we NEEDED to see it!  Our first stop was to see the worlds largest reclining Buddha.  Did you know there are four types of Buddha, sitting, standing, walking, reclining.  I have never seen a walking Buddha but I have seen the rest.

 This is a great picture, but it is NOT the worlds largest reclining Buddha...
This is the World's Largest Reclining Buddha!  It was really hard to get a good picture since there are a ton of pillars in the way.
The Gailey's had a Gong at their home, and I decided I would LOVE to own a gong.  I made it my mission and I have one!  It looks really similar to this one, but probably 1/100 the size!
When you enter a shrine you have to make sure you are dressed modestly (which I always am!) and remove your shoes.  It feels kinda weird to carry them around with you, so it is nice everyone else is carrying their too!
Outside of the main temple are some gorgeous ground!  These small Chedi's were all over the place!
There were some larger ones as well.
This is a whole corridor that we found with Buddhas.  I am not sure what they are for, what they are symbolizing or what the different poses mean, but I did appreciate how shiny they were.  I wish there was more information provided at the Wat's about the religion and meaning.  I feel like they are missing out on good missionary opportunity's that the LDS church would make sure to include!

I really regret not being able to spend more time at each Wat, but honestly, we only had so many hours in a day!  Bangkok is a giant city so with travel and sight-seeing it felt like we barely had time to breath.  Just when we would catch our breath we would be off to the next thing, which is the case here as well....