Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thailand: Ayutthaya Part Two

After visiting Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon which is on the outskirts of Ayutthaya, we headed into the main capital of the once great city.  As we approached the center, this is what greeted us!
One thing we were most excited to do was ride an elephant!  How fun does this look?
Here we are on our ride.  To get on the elephant, you climb up a platform and load into a seat that is strapped on to the middle of the elephant and our driver was sitting on the neck of the elephant.  I honestly thought we would really enjoy this but I just didn't.  After a while, I just felt bad. I just wanted the elephant to be free to play and roam.  I also didn't feel safe where we were sitting.  I thought it would start to slide down the side of the elephant and we would fall off.
At one point Brent dropped a piece of his camera.  I thought for sure we would have to walk back to the spot to get it, but the elephant used his trunck to pick it up and hand it back to Brent!  After the walk, There was a baby elephant who was being trained.  I bought a little basket of food to feed him!  Isn't he cute?!?
I couldn't feed the baby without giving some to the hard working elephants as well!

After we finished with the elephants, we moved on to explore the ruins all around us.  This is the main area for the royals of the Ayutthaya empire.  We were able to get a tour.  I REALLY love being able to listen to the history explained to see me as I see it!

Did you know that Buddha has 32 characteristics that make it Buddha. Some of these include an upright position, forty teeth, long earlobes, slender fingers and smooth skin.  

This is one chedi of three, which is used as a tomb and a symbol of great kings.  We learned some of the history of the town, including a prince who had to fight against the enemy (Burmese) to liberate his people.  I guess to do so, he mounted his war elephant (awesome) and went and slayed the Burmese King.  By doing this he rescued his captive sister and freed his people.  Too bad it didn't last for long.  In the end the Burmese surrounded this area and the royals hid to prevent from torture. 
You can barely see the other two chedi's behind the one in the back.
I love when we are able to get pictures together!
This is inside the main religious area of the campus.  It is where teaching and instruction would take place.  Although it was larger than most of the other gathering places I still don't see how it would have accommodated that many people!
Brent decided to climb to the top of this chedi, I decided to stand under a nice shady tree and take a picture of him.
This was the main party place... and yes I believe that was the technical name of it!
These are three Buddhas who have lost their heads.
This is across from the main area,  it is a prang.  We were going to explore it until we have other priorities, and realized it was pretty much the same.

Learning the history of a civilization that lasted for hundreds of years and then fell was really interesting.  I would recommend this to anyone who is in the area and wants to learn a little more!



No comments: