Sunday, December 30, 2012

Krabi: Phi Phi Islands

After the first day of exploring an island all by ourselves we were ready for someone else to take the reigns.  Instead of planning our own trip to the Phi Phi (PP) islands we signed up for a speed boat tour. Brent and I were nervous because we weren't sure we were tour people, but after we got picked up from the hotel loaded onto the boat with no waiting and no hassle we knew the right decision had been made. 

There were two places we got to snorkel in two different locations.  The first location was very shallow  so we couldn't touch the bottom for fear of stepping on one of these!

Brent LOVED snorkeling. I was going to buy him scuba diving lessons for Christmas but according to my doctor scuba diving is not on my current list of approved activities :( 

We got to play on four or five beaches.  All of them were gorgeous!

This is the first beach we visited.  We got between 30 and 45 minutes at each beach, and that was just about right for Brent and I.
 Once the white sand ended we were greeted with gorgeous plant life and cliffs.  
 Brent and I had found these cute board shorts the day before and I am so glad we did.  I had wanted a sun dress to wear but the one I found was terrible, so I was excited to wear something that felt like me and was much more comfortable!
 We really enjoyed our speed boat tour and we figured out that there were a million different tours we could have taken!  
 The food that was provided for lunch was not good... it was edible but not very good at all.  In fact, I am starting to feel a little sick thinking about it.  In fairness, I was really sick and Brent thought the food was fine.  We stopped at the main island of Ko Phi Phi, so we got to walk the streets, try random pastries and fill our bellies with some of the yummier things!
 This is after we went snorkeling for the second time!  Brent and I were the last ones out, we really wish we would have purchased an underwater camera!
 We got to see a monkey beach, but you really weren't supposed to play with them.
 Gorgeous landscape from the boat.

Look at how cool the long boats look in the port.  These boats are just long boats with car engines attached!

The final beach we stopped at had an island we could play on.  It is called Maya Beach and it is where the movie "the Beach" was filmed.  I have never seen the film but I didn't need to see it to be sold on the amazing beauty of the island.
Just relaxing on branches... except they were really really uncomfortable. I don't know why I thought this would be comfy but it was not!
 All the long boats tied together.
 Relaxing in the ocean.  It was nice to play in the water with Brent and just talk about everything we wanted to do in the next little bit.

It is amazing the dangerous vehicle we rode on.  They would pack 5 people on a scooter and if you add a side cart you have a taxi!


Brent and I on the way home.  We had a a nice van in the morning but this little cart on the way back.  WE got there at least!

Overall, we loved the speed boat tour.  We were able to see everything we wanted to in the most efficient easiest way.  I think we paid $40.00 a person, which included snorkel equipment and lunch (even though it was not good).  I doubt I would like a whole vacation on tour but it was sure nice to have a whole day taken care of!

No comments: