Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Thailand: Wat Arun

Directly across the river from Wat Pho is Wat Arun.  It looks much less sparkly and much more "ancient" than most of the other Wat's we visited.  It is really tall and that is when Brent let me know, we were going to climb it.
What better than having a bag full of souvenirs  being jet-lagged, having terrible morning sickness and then deciding to climb steep uneven stairs to the top of and ancient tower?  It is only now that I realize how insane I was for going along with it, not complaining and loving every second of it!  Brent is at the bottom and decided to take this picture to show how steep the stairs were.  I realize now this is a booty shot, but it does not flatter my booty so I think it is ok!

The great part about the climb is it leads us to the top.  Since Bangkok is a huge city, it is hugely polluted.  I did feel like I could breath a little better at this elevation, and get a great look at the city!
The upkeep and decor was drastically different from the royal palace.  I love all the shiny but Wat Arun conveyed a labor of love in its preservation. 
Although we are on the main shrine there were still four smaller towers around it.  There must be something about symmetry within the Buddhist religion because everything was evenly match and organized.  Since that is how I prefer this I enjoyed it a lot! 
This is on the way down.  I really have poor balance and footing so I chose to go down backwards.  I know I am a wimp but I would mach rather do that then risk fall or twisting my ankle!
Brent getting a picture with all the guys who hold the entire structure together!  I wonder why they are down on one knee.  Maybe it is a better support position.
Here is a gorgeous picture of what the outside gate looks like walking into the Wat.  

I know it looks like every Wat is just one shrine or temple, but they are really complex's with different buildings for different uses.  Once again, I had a lot of curiosity about the actual use of the facilities but there was no information there to see!  I have already made a note to purchase a travel guide the next time around!

No comments: