Friday, October 14, 2011

Weekend Fun in the Rose City

My parents decided to go to Egypt instead of inviting me to come the decided to call in a favor and asked me to fly to Portland an hang out with Kalen while making sure that everything at the schools went smoothly.  Well 10 days in Portland isn't quite the same as 10 days in Egypt, but I was planning to make the best of it!  

On Friday Brent flew out to spend the weekend with me.  Usually when we are in Portland we are with family and busy, so we were excited to play!

With a city like this who couldn't be excited to do a little exploring!

First, we went to Saturday Market. I never think I am going to like anything there, but I ALWAYS find several things I would love to have!
I did find Hair Feathers that I really wanted to get but Brent told me I wasn't a bird and that he didn't really care for the feathers.  I guess I was meant to remain ground bound.  I am pretty sure I was meant to be in the water so I just hope that scales never become popular, because I might not be able to say no.
After Saturday Market, I took Brent to Powell's Book Store.  It is a Block of glorious books!  Brent wasn't sure he would be into it, but he turned out to really enjoy it!
Powell's is always an adventure!  And then we were off to the Chinese Gardens.  Seriously, this place is amazing.  It is a city block in the middle of downtown Portland, and it is seriously an Oasis!
It is designed as a Chinese Noble Man's Garden.  There a lot of different structures that the noble man and his family would use.   The Garden was meant to be incorporated into the life, not just looked at from time to time.
Through out the Garden there we stone (like the one to the right of Brent) whcih were formed by running water eroding them into unique forms.  Looking at one from bottom to top is suppose to be the mental equivalent to climbing a mountain.
Here we are enjoy the Garden.  These pictures are much harder to take with the big SLR camera, but the pictures turn out a lot better. 
Weeping willows were all over the place!
More cut out rock!  
I loved the large ponds because they had a ton of Koi fish in them.  We also had a pamphlet that shared with    us some of the philosphy used in the creation of the garden.  Yin and Yang are one example. Did you know that Yin is the moon and Yang is the water.  They are suppose to be opposite forces that end up complimenting each other and influencing nature.  
I like this picture because you can really see how this garden is in the middle of the city!  You see the Pagoda and the large brick building behind it!
After a fun day in  Portland I convinced Brent to go to Papa Haydn's for desert.  I got the Boccone Dolce.  It is an amazing melt in your mouth desert with chocolate, melt in your mouth layers, fruit and whip cream. It is my favorite but it is NOT for everyone.
(Side note: Seriously I have some major bags under my eyes.  I have been sleeping a ton lately but I continue to be exhausted! I may have to start wearing a little make up if this becomes a trend!)
Brent got a Hazelnut cream cake (not the technical name).  He has a hard time saying no to anything Hazel nut!  Both of our deserts were REALLY delicious but in the end they were too sweet to finish, luckily that is why they had to go boxes!
Brent was only able to stay through Sunday night (I mean someone has to make the big bucks!).  It was a short period to fly him out for but I am so glad he came.  It was a great way to break up the ten day sand get me out and exploring the city I love.  

Brent and I agreed that Portland is wonderful because it is small enough to explore but has all the character and charm of a larger city.  I am really grateful that he and I enjoy getting and out being active together!  I wouldn't mind if one of us hated eating out though.... I think that would help us in more than one way ;) 

2 comments:

Maren said...

It's true. We never do anything just the two of us because we want to be with family. It looks like you soaked it up, even though you lived there for 4 months.

Dana and ohana said...

what a fun time!!!