Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Bryce Canyon

Every time we drive to Utah, Brent and I always agree that we need to make pit stops on the way home to explore some of the places we have never been.  Three years we have been making the drive and in three years we have never made pit stops... UNTIL NOW!  Instead of making the normal drive home we decided to take a detour through Bryce Canyon. 

I am not a huge fan of the desert landscape so I just had to find joy in the journey. Our first stop was nice, but still a desert.
I think Harper was on my side.  She didn't seem super impressed.
Bryce Canyon consists of a lot of view points from the top of the canyon.
Harper and Dad!
Brent is such an amazing Dad.  I mean seriously, he absolutely adores this little girl.  He has pretty good reason to as well. 
At some point Harper and I had to hide from all the wildlife... that doesn't exist in the desert.
At the second or third viewpoint it was time to strap on the ergo.  
This raven was MASSIVE and just chilled as we took pictures and studied it. Brent edited a close up and it looks amazing.
Harper took a small small small nap.
One thing I love about exploring is you meet the coolest people.  Everyone there was willing to swap picture taking so we could have some family shots.
This was suppose to be in the background.  It is a natural arch. 
Brent always being the explorer!
As stated, I am not really one for the desert, but this view was INCREDIBLE!  That is a real ledge with a real fall.  Brent took the picture but then told me to get back since I did have his baby with me. 

That right there is Thors Hammer.  Can't you see Chris Hemsworth coming down and using that Hammer to battle interplanetary demons?!   
At our last stop there was a hike that was only 1.2 miles.  Brent and I thought that it would be a 20-30 minute jaunt, then we would be on our way home.  We were wrong.
It was a really pretty hike but almost straight downhill and then straight uphill.  Needless to say, our estimation was WRONG!
I love how Harper just barely pokes out.
Told you it was pretty. 
The flat parts were really relaxing and peaceful.
It is never to early to teach children about geological make up!
I LOVE these two people!
Daddy being silly.
Family picture!
As I mentioned, we totally underestimated the time it would take to do the hike.  Since it took over and hour to complete, Harper was super hungry, tried and not thrilled with her parents. (I realize the blue binki makes life confusing but it is just so so so cute!)
It was a great pit stop.  We spent 4 hours in the park and enjoyed spending time together and seeing something new.  The main part of the canyon was really the most impressive.  The hike was long and wearing Harper was hot but it was totally worth it!

We drove through Zions on the way home and I am totally ready to do a whole weekend exploring that terrain! 

No comments: