Thursday, November 5, 2009

Only in threat of death..

So Brent and I have set out some new goals, we are getting into some better life habits. Because of this we have taken a few steps forward. We now wake up at 4:45 am and going to the Orem Recreation Center where we have a monthly pass. This is all my fault of course. Brent offered to train me at home but I told him that I simply could not do it on my own and I needed someone there to push me even when I didn't want to, and that if it were him we might have some serious marital issues. I have always loved swimming, it came easy and was so fun and addicting in high school that working out was easy. I had a coach to write my work outs and friends right next to me to keep me motivated. I just knew I needed something similar
Well this week has, in short,... sucked! I hate getting started working out, especially when I am not in shape at all. I have been trying to take a couple different classes to see if anything strikes my fancy. My strength class is a lot of fun but I really hate being so tired. Well today I tried something I was hoping to really enjoy because my sister, Maren, really enjoyed it. Spinning.
Here is how the morning went down. At 4:45 am- "BEEP BEEP" went the alarm and brent and I agreed we should just go to the class at 5:30 am. The alarm goes off and Brent hops out of bed while I cherish the extra 2-3 minutes before I am forced out of bed. Brent and I showed up a few minutes early and wandered into the room hoping to look not so out of place but we were immediately spotted. The instructor came over and and asked if we were new and helped us adjust the seat, handles and resistance. I told the teacher we could only stay for half the class because of work and she was totally cool. Pedaling at first was fine, and then it got not so fine... and then it got worse... and then it got bad, and then it got miserable, and then it got unbearable and I thought...
"I hate this, I really hate this. Why does brent keep staring? I probably look as miserable as I feel. I could just stop... no one can stop me. I could just stop pedaling and be done with this miserable act."
Well let me tell you... I HATE HATE HATE SPINNING!!!! But it is basically more than that I hate all working out minus swimming!
It is then that the ephiphany came... I love swimming because stopping is not a legitimate option. If you stop swimming the consequence is drowning and death. Embarrassment I can deal with but death... probably not. To stop swimming I would have to swim across other lanes and climb out of the pool, it was just easier to keep swimming to the end of the pool. Then it was only the 2 second commitment of pushing off the wall until I was committed to returning again. So I have figured out that the best work outs for me are... THE ONES WHERE DEATH IS THE ONLY OTHER OPTION!!!!
When I have the choice of working out or dying I will inevitably choose to work out... I can't be the only one that feels this way so I have posted a new poll... what workout type are you?
No worries I will keep working out... and I will keep hating ever second of it... IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTION TO MAKE THIS EASIER LET ME KNOW!

8 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I am curious why you didn't like spinning. Was it too hard, boring, hurting, etc? Did Brent like it? Usually your butt hurts for the first 2 classes, but then it is amazing. If you have a good instructor, then classes are so fun. I guess each person is different, I HATE HATE HATE step classes.

As for swimming. That is a great cardio workout. Does the rec center have a pool?

erin said...

no real suggestions here. i work out, and i thought after of having my membership itd be easier, but its not. its always going to get in the way, but its always going to be important, so im always gonna do it. good luck to you and me both!

Brent and Mallory said...

I also hated spinning, for me it was the standing and riding the whole time just felt like I was running, but less natural...oh well, we will try again
-Brent

Jessica said...

Have you tried pilates? I really like it, and it is good at getting you toned. Or if they have any fitness dance classes like Zumba or dancetone or anything like that, those would probably be fun and give you more variety than spinning would.

Brent and Mallory said...

Spinning was just miserable all around for me. I couldn't get myself motivated, I was so tired, and I agree with brent that it felt a lot like running which is the worst of all working out.
I like pilates but it didn't feel enough like work out for me. I have a great strength teacher, who also teacher pilates and so we get some mixed in. I really want to try zumba though.

Julie and Andy said...

Hey old friend! My only suggestion is to stick with something you like. Getting back into shape no matter what you do stinks. Once you get into shape working out is awesome! So just push through the hard workouts, you'll get there!

jnj said...

I find that I really like working out no matter because it's my time during the day. I've done Pilates before and that was good but I agree with you in that it didn't do enough. So now I alternate days between Aerobic Kickboxing and Yoga, both of which I love. Interesting fact that you might want to consider. Muscle mass burns fat even when at rest. So if you do muscle building workouts, such as lifting weights, then even when you're just sitting around at home dinking around on your computer, you will still be burning more calories and fat then normal. Just something to consider.

Davis Family said...

This is probably a really stupid comment....but why don't you just swim? Does your gym not have a pool? I envy your ability to swim laps- I know that I should swim for my back, but I don't really know how to do it properly. I'm not sure how effective it would be to doggie paddle across the pool. :) I'm contemplating taking adult swimming lessons.....talk about embarrasing. way to go, keep it up!