Saturday, February 28, 2009

Scripture Case

Today was an odd weekend, Brent had to stay at school for 8 hours today which left me home all alone :( I had seen these cute scripture cases that one of the kids in primary had. It was bright color and patterned and all around the outside were individual pouches for crayons! I fell in love and thought it was a such a fun idea. Well I had made a quilt for Braden so I figured it was time I shared the beauty and made something fr some of my other Nephews. So For William and Michael I decided to make these scripture cases. I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult but it turned out to be pretty easy and VERY time consuming! Luckily it kept me busy all day and afterword we had a fun Bonfire with friends in the snow! Just to let you know, it is still a little to cold for Bonfires!

First you start by adding some fun patterns on the fabric to give it a quilted effect and to support the fabric to make it more thick
The you cute two 4-5" strips in a different fun fabric to make the crayon pouches
You sow one onto the bottom of the backing, about 2-3" from the bottom, make sure to sew the bottom of this on so they crayons don't fall through

Sow the second strip on so it goes along the bottom of the original panel (orange one) so there is a nice layered effect. Then you sow strips up the green fabric about 1.5" apart to create the slots.

Then you sow them inside out, and add handles and here is what you get! There is enough to carry 30 crayons and the actual case is big enough fro scriptures and coloring books! I had a lot of fun making it... I just hope that William and Michael won't look to closely at everything that doesn't match up.

Quilting in where I started sewing and I like it because it hides a lot of flaws and the bright yellow thread I used definitely didn't so there are some many things I wish I would have been more careful with, but overall I really enjoyed trying to sew something different than a blanket. Since I made these for the boys I am going to attempt to make skirts for the girls! I think they will really like them! What does everyone else think my project after skirts should be?

5 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I think the bags turned out way cute. In fact, I think I might make one for me to put all my primary stuff in. Maybe not so colorful, but bigger of course.

I can't wait to see your skirt. I would love detailed directions on this.

Julie and Andy said...

Hey, these are really cute! Good job Mallory. Last night did get a little cold, I will have to ask you how it went at work.

Anonymous said...

I love those! Colin's getting baptized in a couple more months. That would be awesome to make something like that for him. Thanks for the idea. :)

Eric and Cheryl said...

Your blog finally comes up! YEAH! Love the scripture bags.

I liked the idea of making it bigger for primary teachers. You could use the slots for crayons, scissors, chalk, and an eraser. You could also make some for your girl's camp girl's. Just fill the slots with highlight pens, pencils and have a slot in front for the Personnel Progress Book and a back slot for the Journal. Of course scriptures would be kept inside.

See Mallory, your idea sparked all sorts of creative thinking.

Mom

erin said...

haha i love your step-by-step instructions!