Monday, June 4, 2012

Washington DC: Day Two- Korean War, WWII and Washington DC Veteran Memorials

 Our walking tour continued and we went.  The next two monuments were by far my favorite!  The Korean War memorial had three sections. To the left of Brent is a mirrored wall with soldiers faces etched into the stone.  
  


Across from the wall is the a field filled with these statues of soldiers.  Each statue was personalized.  Some were carrying communication equipment and others held weapons. It is interesting that as you walk up the pathway you are looking at their backs.  It really helps you feel like you could be out there with them, and helps you ask the question "could I do what they did?"
 This is my favorite memorial because it made it easy to visualize what working on the front lines would have looked like.  All the uncertainty would have really scared me, which gave me a greater respect for what those men do/did. 

 At the end of thee pathway is a circular reflection pool, with a shaded path around it.  It was so peaceful.
 From the Korean War Monument we moved onto the WWII memorial.  It was HUGE!  It was divided ino and oval with half dedication to the Atlantic front and the other dedicated to the Pacific front.
Each of the pillars had a state name, we made sure to pay tribute to the home state!
 My focus in college was on the holocaust so this memorial was extra special.  The expansiveness of the monument truly resonated the expansiveness of the battle that consumed the world.  This picture was taken by a Veteran.   

 There were a TON of middle school groups around.  I actually watched three 14-15 year old boys go up to an older veteran and thanked him for his service.  Who ever instilled that in those boys should deserve a medal.  I have to admit I am not that brave to approach a stranger and thank them, even though I am extremely grateful!  Expressing gratitude is difficult for me, and something I desperately want to improve on.  I am really proud of those boy who showed they were brave and grateful!
 after the WII, we went to the Washington DC Veterans Memorial.  I LOVED the simplicity of it all.  For Brents birthday his mom purchased him a camera bag with a mono-pod!  The mono-pod was a LIFE SAVER!  This is the first picture taken by leaning the camera against a tree.  We became pros... until the last day but you will just have to stay tuned to find out what happened.
 I thought this is somewhere I would imagine weddings  taking place. 
 Since it was Memorial Day weekend, there were fresh flowers on EVERY Monument.   I wonder who took care of it because they found a way to make every memorial look special.  
 I woke up early to curl my hair and it was super cute... until I walked outside with the humidity got to and and I became a FRIZZY mess! At least I tried to be cute.
These three monuments were my favorites, and all for different reasons. The amazing lush green of the area made the experience even better.  

No comments: