Saturday, December 25, 2010

Copenhagen: Day 1

The biggest mistake I made on this Europe trip was choosing to go to Copenhagen... In the winter. Copenhagen looks like it is a beautiful town, and it really was but with my feet wet and freezing I was in no mood to see it! On Christmas, I dragged myself out to see the town and after about an hour in 15 degree weather, I was past my pushing point! I don't remember names of places, so it will basically be looking at pictures Brent took!

A Church Right by our Hostel.

Brent thought this was so funny. Every time we passed it he would laugh and make a comment. The funny thing to me is it was a milk billboard... Needless to say, we stayed away from milk just to be safe!

A statue next to the canal.

The frozen Canal. A lot of birds had found a place to make home! It looked really peaceful, and freezing.

This is a Castle now turned museum.

Another church, that we went inside.

AS we were inside people started to show up for Christmas Mass, as we were bundling up to leave it started... I was tempted to stay but we just snuck out. I don't think to many people noticed!

These are the Navy Housing (or used to be). They are really cute house! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a ton of them all lined up in a row!

Another Church outside the Citadel.

These are the Palace Guards. In Copenhagen there are four Palaces, each built in a different time, but all identical.

Here is a shot of the middle of the Palace Octagon! Literally, it was an octagon and each of the four palaces were built around a different wall!

This is Brent's Favorite pictures in all of Europe! It is really pretty.

The spire in the background is spiraling to represent the Ascension into heaven. Well the Architect built it and then realized if two people were to sword fight up the spire, they would have to be left handed, no right handed. Since that is rare he considered his spiral a failure and killed himself!

This is a Coat of Arms that was inside the Justice, Legislative, and Executive building in Copenhagen. Copenhagen is the only city in the world where the three branches share a building!

Just so everyone understands how cold it was our wate froze solid while we were out there.

In total we probably walked around 10-12 kilometers. Honestly, the walking wasn't bad. The walking in deep snow, slipping and sliding, with freezing cold feet made it a miserable day. Brent and I had both had better Christmas's and at this point were ready to be home!

No comments: