Saturday, July 21, 2012

Washington DC: Day Three- Alexandria

Alexandria was really a nice part of Washington DC. I also think it is one of the oldest parts of DC as well.  This portion of street was actually left as cobblestone- just like it would have been back in the day.  Thank goodness for pavement!
 Next stop for us was Robert E Lee's boyhood home.  Do you ever think I post pictures of random places and say it is something really cool?  Well here is proof I don't!
 Aren't these streets just picturesque?
 As we were walking to the shore. I would love to live in a townhouse like these!
 This is the Carlyle House.    As we started walking there and I asked "Why is this house special?"  Here was his answer "I'm not sure.  It is old, and built out of concrete and I think it was built by slaves."  I nearly stopped in my tracks. I was thinking, why in the world are we going to a house that really isn't important at all?  Maybe I didn't just think it, maybe I said it out loud several times.
 The actual house wasn't open yet, but they did have a nice garden in the back.  Brent was taking pictures, and here is usually what I am up to when he is doing that.
The house was nice, but Brent and I did have a long conversation about what warrants our time and energy on vacations. 

2 comments:

Brent said...

I said more than that about the house! It was the first house to be build all out of concrete I think. It was also an early socialite house and all the parties back in the day happened there including ones with Lee and Washington present. And, it was on our way to the next stop!

Brent and Mallory said...

You are silly.