Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Valley of Fire

The Las Vegas adventure continue! We are of course trying to get out and enjoy what Vegas has to offer.  This weekend we ventured about an hour north to explore Valley of Fire.  It is a park filled with Red Rock!
The Red Rock is red because it is iron rich soil..
I really enjoy climbing on the rock. It is the most fun, but with 14 miles of park to explore it was a little to much to explore in one day.
It was pretty great weather out.  You would never guess that it is the middle of October. 
Brent and I always wonder how these holes erode away when they are shielded by other rock.

This is a small ledge that I tried to climb up but when you have short legs and a long waist you can't always reach the right foot holes.  Brent made it to the top but I ended up twisting my ankle so I climbed down after half way.
This is the white dome.  It is white rock instead of red.

This is a basin that can hold water for months at a time.  You could hear the flies and bees and insects at least ten feet away.  It was super gross.
All over were carvings from Indian Tribes.  No one knows that they mean so anyones guess it welcome!
I guess back in the 1920's people carved out these cabins for travelers crossing the expanse. They were really neat.
Here is what happens when I decide that I am done having my picture taken.  Brent loves the camera and usually I am fine, but I just wasn't in the mood.
The Grand Finale!  Elephant Rock!  Looks like an elephant right?!! The sign took us on a half mile hike.  When we got there we realized that we could have gone 100 yards up the road and been there!
It was a great way to spend the weekend.  I love exploring but we hope to focus on just a few trails next time so we can take our time!

No comments: