Sunday, July 21, 2013

Harper Hospital Stay

 After Harper came into the world we began the hospital stay.  I knew I would be in the hospital for at least three days, which ended up being 5.  Luckily, Brent was able to stay with me the vast majority of the time only leaving a few times for work and to get showered.  


 Overall it was an easy stay.  I don't think I ever slept for more than 2 hours but at that point it didn't seem to bother me.
 Harper had plenty of guest who brought her adorabel little headbands.  Thanks Sarah!
 Brent was such a champ.  He slept and worked all from that little couch, although he demonstrated his true fatherhood, when he didn't wake up when she cried.

I have to admit, I didn't mind being in the hospital.  After the first day Harper had lost more than 10% of her body weight (which is a big no no) so I made it my mission to make sure she ate.  Finally, a nurse came in and burped Harper harder than I had ever seen until she spit up a ton of amniotic fluid. She ate like a champ and made up all the weight loss before we left the hospital.

 I feel like I learned a lot about new babies.  For the most part Harper slept on my stomach, which the nurse said was because she could feel my heartbeat and it smelled like amniotic fluid, which simulated being in the womb.  
 Every now and then I would make Brent switch me places because I was a little stir crazy.  I was able to get me IV out on the second day, which was by far the worst part of sitting in the hospital room.

One irritation Brent had was with the lactation staff.  The hospital stated they were a "Baby First" Hospital (meaning they promoted ONLY breast feeding, so basically if you choose to not breast feed you are probably going to hell, don't love your child and are obviously a terrible mother).  Not only did they encourage breast feeding but they also believed the use of a binki was a forbidden sin.  Many times we were caught with one in our room (not even in her mouth) and got disgusted looks and comments from the staff.  Luckily Toren, to proclaimed Binki King, basically told use to ignore them.  I am all for breast feeding and pump to get Harper those nutrients but I don't need random Nurse No-Name to make me feel worse for making my own decisions, that are best for mine and Harper's well being and relationship.  I guess we will know in 30 years if I have scarred her with the use of the binki or bottle. 

This was probably my favorite view of the whole stay.  

1 comment:

Jessica said...

The part about using a binky kind of made me laugh. My hospital was the same way ("No binkies for the first month or you are a terrible mother..."), but Graeme was so fussy and just wouldn't sleep the first night we had him home and so we ended up giving him one as a last resort. And he's just fine and never had any problems nursing. Sometimes you just have to trust that you know what your baby needs...